Some history about the Village of Cambridge
The Village of Cambridge was incorporated in 1866, combining the hamlets of Cambridge and North White Creek. About one-third of the Village is in the Town of Cambridge, and two-thirds in the town of White Creek.
The Village was a quiet rural community until 1855, when the Albany & Rutland Railroad connected it to Rutland VT, to the north and New York's Capital District to the South. The Jerome B. Rice Seed Co. developed by Civil War veteran Jerome B. Rice, Sr. was a major employer and at one time was the second-largest seed company in the nation.
The Cambridge Fair held from the late 19th century until World War II, drew thousands annually on special excursion trains. The Washington County Fair in nearby Easton, one of the largest agricultural fairs in the northeast is it's descendant.
The village today is still home to a Victorian train hotel, The Cambridge Hotel, a Victorian era Opera House, Hubbard Hall, plus many other businesses housed in historic buildings. Agriculture continues to thrive in the area, including many dairy farms, organic meat and vegetable producers plus fiber and fruit growers.